October 9, 2008

Happiness is Infectious


My happiness.

It's been too long, and it always upsets me to have people come to me telling me that they've checked this thing numerous times to see NOTHING new, so I'll throw in a quick word to maintain at least a little bit of interest.

I'm writing my college essay as I type (well, I was 5 seconds ago until I got distracted by this heavenly demon (talk about oxymorons lmfao) called the "Internet"), and it's on this line a really grounded brother shared with me: "True happiness is only real when shared."

Think about that line for a second. I'm not saying you have to split your veggie burger and give up half your smoothie for another person (though that would work), but rather, share your indispensable joy. Something I see WAY too often is really purposeful individuals, who have so many things that make their life great, not share their moments. Don't get me wrong: this isn't because they're greedy. Most of the time, it's just that it never crossed their minds.

Why I blog, why I twitter, why I campaign for various things, why I make an ass of myself in school to get people involved in things like Homecoming and Model Congress is all because of this line.

The things I blog about are things that (1) make my life a little more enjoyable, purposeful, (2) make me a little more positive, or (3) make me a little more spiritually grounded -- all things that I think everyone could use (no matter how happy or enlightened they may be).

The things I twitter about are things I'm present to at the given moment that might just be happening OR things that have caught my interest and might catch yours too (i.e. the sun rising, the quality food I may be enjoying, the general environment I'm in).

The sunset from the top of Pier 17 @ South Street Seaport.

The things I fight for -- animal rights via the vegan diet, AIDS awareness, healthy living in general via exercise, diet, and no bullshit drama -- I used to do just for myself. I just kinda did them. They were part of me, but recently, in increasing amounts, I've shared these things with the people around me because I know others might find fulfillment in exploring paths I'm trekking along myself.

Finally, school activities that I talk about so much to kids around school. Let me be straight with you when I say that I wouldn't be the person I am if it weren't for the extracurriculars. When I started high school and jumped into a number of these things, my intentions were split between hmm this could be cool to try out. everyone else is doing it and NICE. now all i have to do is write this on my college résumé that i'll be submitting in a few years. Eventually the mindset transitioned to i'm really getting a lot out of these activities. a lot of who i am and a lot of the way i carry myself is founded upon what experiences in these clubs have given me. Now, as a senior member of many of these activities, I don't only see my responsibility to be to assist in the running of the club and to make sure things are going the way they're supposed to. Being that my life has changed as a result of these activities, I only think it correct to create the experience I had and expand upon it for all the new students. There's a lot of purpose to be gained from these things, and I only see to make that known and available for the students around me.

That's how I share my happiness, my fulfillment, and my purpose. That's how I reap more than I sow. These three things -- happiness, fulfillment, and purpose -- do not come in limited quantities. They aren't scientific, so they don't follow the laws of conservation of whatever. What brings you happiness? What made your day today? Share it with someone. I highly doubt they won't crack a smile. Heck, share it with me. Comment or hit me up personally. I'd love to hear your happiness.

I think success should be measured by the smiles you induce. Something like this (for the math nerds):
Success = ((Average intensity of smile from 1-10)(Number of smiles))^(Number of resulting smiles on other faces)

Stay real,
Ankit

P.S. Tumblr's a great way to spread your joy. I'd use it if I wasn't already settled in with Blogger. It'd be heartbreaking to leave my online home. Here are a few people that have done a great job at making my day with their tidbits:
P.P.S. It's Breast Cancer Awareness month. Wear your jeans and your pink and flaunt your support. For those of you in Herricks, donate a bit of your change in the front office. For those from elsewhere, Avon and the Susan G. Komen Foundation have been doing great things with their money.

Note the pink ribbon-shaped firework on the left. Crazy, no? (Taken October 5)

P.P.P.S. For those that weren't there, Semiformal was RIDICULOUS. Be on the lookout for a winter formal. Big ups to the rest of the Exec Board and the many individuals that made this possible. Love all of you!


P.P.P.P.S. CONGRATS TO OUR HOMECOMING KING AND QUEEN, CHRIS LONGMAN AND NATALIE LI.
P.P.P.P.P.S. (This has got to stop) Other shots from the Semiformal:

After all the dancing (and sweating) lmfao.
Our beautiful banners.

blog comments powered by Disqus